Corporate identity is what makes up the physical look of your brand. It usually includes your logo and the supporting devices such as your website, letterhead and business card as well as your social media platforms and the ‘tone of voice’ of your business.
Maintaining a consistent corporate identity is vital if you want to show your business in a professional light. Sticking to a particular palette of colours and fonts, consistent logo positioning and using the same tone of voice throughout your printed and online communications will all help to enhance your professional stance.
- A company that invests in corporate identity indicates that it is here to stay. It sends a message that the company is serious about being successful. It gives the customer a sense of trust.
- Corporate identity gives a sense of the culture or personality of the business.
- In creating a consistent identity, a company is ensuring that it will be recognized and remembered.
- A uniform corporate identity becomes instantly recognizable amongst its target audience.
- A strong corporate identity can improve customer awareness and can increase a company’s competitive edge.
Brand image is how the customer actually perceives and interprets your brand. It may not necessarily be the same as the brand identity. A customer can recognise the logo of a brand which can instantly evoke a feeling of trust. A good example is Coca Cola – you see the logo, you instantly know you are getting a quality product.
Maintaining consistency in your corporate identity is essential because it reinforces the brand identity at every point that the customer encounters you. So it is important to consider all the touchpoints such as social networking platforms, newsletters, and email marketing, sales brochures, and the like.